Index Page Find us on Facebook  Find us on twitter  Follow our RSS Feed
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to use T-cut?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:06 am 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

Drives: Clio Rs197
So I'm planning on giving the car a really good wash when the rain eventually buggers off. Brought some T-Cut (the metallic one) to get out a scratch and a few other areas that need attention.

Never used it before so coming to the people who know what they are doing.

Whats the best way to use T-cut? :hsugh:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:29 am 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

Drives: MK4 mondeo ,Saph Cossie
Carefully. T-cut is not demishable, meaning it will keep cutting away at you paint. where as compounds like Poorboys SSR range, megs 80-83 etc are deminishable, meaning that the cutting abrasive in them breaks down and turns into a polish.

Just take it easy, dont get any on unpainted plastics, and, i assume by you asking this question that your not using a machine to polish which is a good thing ( with T-cut )

HTH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

So the way I was going to do it, put a little on a cloth and wipe the area over with it then wash off once finished, is an ok way to use it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:41 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

wash and dry the car as normal.

apply the tcut in small amounts either straight to the panel or to a cloth and work in with gentle pressure. doing small areas at a time ( 1' ). once it has dried to a haze ( you will be able to tell by touching it, it shouldnt feel wet lol ) buff off with a clean cloth. DO NOT at anytime apply water to the t-cut you will spend ages trying to get it off :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:37 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

ah good so I did figure right. I'll have to do this next time as I've just washed and waxed it. Looking good so far

Think I'm gonna run the car through a bodyshop to get the car done properly (nearer to christmas) as I was waxing it quite a few patches needed proper attention. The paintwork is mostly ok but there are areas where I'm getting white specks (1 on the front passenger door and one on the wing by the drivers door) so need to sort those out.
I'm loving driving this car and am noticing that it does get quite a few looks 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

get some pictures up.

what needs doing that you need to go to a body shop ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:10 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

I'll grab some pictures tomorrow of the patches but basically to explain it.
Its these white dots that don't clean off, I did try a bit of T-cut on them but it made no difference just took off all the dirt that had built up on top of them. As I said I'll grab some pictures of it tomorrow so you can get a better idea of what I mean. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

I will have a look at the pictures for you, see if we can advise you further.

you going to ford fair ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

When and where is that?
Kinda new to all the ford events :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:04 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

its at silverstone on the 2nd of august.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:06 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

Depends on if I'm working that day as I'm starting a new job and have yet to get my shifts in

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 am 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

If you do, let us know.

These things are easier to diagnose when you actualy see them

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:09 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

ok here is the pictures of the white dots and a few other problem areas. There are some patches on the car that defo need a look by someone from a bodyshop as there are patches on both rear arches that the colour doesn't match (I'm planning on making this car look mint so I'm gonna make sure its all good)

2 White dotty patches
Passanger side back door
Front drivers side wing

There is a scratch T-cut wouldnt work on and a patch I just noticed while taking the pictures
Back
By the back passenger door (passenger side)

Also just a sidetrack what is the best way to clean these up (as I've tried to scrub them with my dads alloy cleaner brushes but made little difference)
Both front ones are like that

The back ones are like this though :D
(yes I'm aware of the rust patch its TBS when I get the money together)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:11 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

Drives: Sideways
Tiababy wrote:
Also just a sidetrack what is the best way to clean these up (as I've tried to scrub them with my dads alloy cleaner brushes but made little difference)

Toothpaste :thumbsup:

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:55 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

Its hard to tell from the pictures what the dots are, do they stick out, or are they more like little chips. ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:09 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

no they don't stick out at all I've ran my nails over them and the surface is smooth its like they are in the paintwork but they weren't there before I cleaned the car at the weekend. Thats what puzzled me about them. The ones at the front show up clearer as I waxed 1/2 the car before it started to rain (still got the passenger side and front of the car to do)

Ill have to try the toothpaste any particular type or whatever takes your fancy :hsugh:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:18 pm 
David Dickinson Junior
David Dickinson Junior

Drives: Like a boss
not too sure about toothpaste but bug and tar remover works a treat on brake dust, :thumbsup:

FEED ME MORE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:18 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

I'll keep a look out for that, my dad might have some as he is OTT with the cleaning of the Saab and has most cleaning stuff you could need for it. I'll let you know how I get on with it as I might try it tomorrow, cleaning the car is a good way to chill out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

Drives: Sideways
Tiababy wrote:
Ill have to try the toothpaste any particular type or whatever takes your fancy :hsugh:

Anything cheap. Suprisingly effective due to an ideal PH balance :nerd:

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 pm 
FSI Poster
FSI Poster

well if it works it works and itll save money if it does. Plus I can use whatever doesnt get used on the alloys as...um....oh yeah toothpaste :lol: