Index Page Find us on Facebook  Find us on twitter  Follow our RSS Feed
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My shed project
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:04 pm 
Poster
Poster

Been on a few Ford forums with my MK5 Fiesta but always loved the MK3. Whilst I was on the hunt for an XR2i, there was a nice looking Si. Went to look, put a deposit down and bought it! The car has been owned by a few lads on here I'm led to believe, so those with a keen eye may remember it. Anyway, the car so far had been fantastic but expensive. It's losing oil, coolant, needed a new N/s/r wheel bearing after it dropped it's grease, clutch cable snapped plus a non start issue the other day but I love it haha. It's fantastic to drive, It has a 2.0 Mondeo engine coupled to an Rs Turbo box however apparently it was changed to an Si box before I bought it so i'm unsure of what clutch to use? Here's some pics of when I bought it and how it is now minus those hideous multifits . I'm not really and eBay coilover slammed sort of person so don't expect any mad "lows" haha, I like my sleepers so It really suits my taste.

It looks quite clean in pics however the reality is somewhat different....It is covered in little trolley dings, the drivers side door doesn't shut right because some pleb tried to steal it before I had it, plus It's that low, I've managed to put a golf ball size hole through the exhaust flexi pipe on a speedbump doing only 10mph....I do however plan to have it in the bodyshop in the better whether to have all of the exterior niggles sorted. Underneath is very clean especially for a 20 y/o car. There is a hole right by the front drivers arch underneath but not like a rust hole as there's no rust around it or crumble like rot? I can only get my little finger through and can feel the arch liner on the other side, it doesn't go into the cabin so maybe a drain hole? Also a scab on front sill by arch again but still solid and not going through so very happy with it. I'm currently trying to find where my oil is going, oil appears on back of the sump towards the plug area and I can see it dripping from there however there's no oil on sides of sump so pretty sure the plug itself is sweating a little. Spark plugs are clean of oil and the car pulls like a train, there is a little smell however under high rpm, I believe the smell and steam maybe the decat and fuel cleaner I've been using plus the gaping hole now in the pipe haha! Coolant also is going down slowly, oil is clean and there is the occasional smell of antifreeze when heater is on coupled with damp footwell on drivers side so perhaps matrix is going. Few issues to sort, but all being well there are no terminal engine problems so looking forward to getting bits sorted and FiTP!

Post subject: Re: My shed project
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 pm 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

Drives: Ash Black Fiesta si 1.4
looking good joey. Nice to see someone putting the love back into an si.
Engine bay looks very clean and sounds pretty solid from what you are saying.
My mum had a ka at one stage, constant oil leak. I must have changed the oil and sump plug/washer 3 times and it still leaked. Found out the sump had gone porous! So if you run out of options, that could be the reason.
You not tempted to swap the standard si box for something like an erst box with lsd in?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 pm 
Poster
Poster

bensouthport wrote:
looking good joey. Nice to see someone putting the love back into an si.
Engine bay looks very clean and sounds pretty solid from what you are saying.
My mum had a ka at one stage, constant oil leak. I must have changed the oil and sump plug/washer 3 times and it still leaked. Found out the sump had gone porous! So if you run out of options, that could be the reason.
You not tempted to swap the standard si box for something like an erst box with lsd in?

There was a FRST box in it however I've read somewhere from previous owners thread about that blowing up and sticking standard box in it, more to the point, I'm being driven mad by the fact I've snapped a brand new clutch cable in 5 weeks since the one before snapped....ratchet and pawl is being changed as well as the cable but if it snaps again Idk what to do haha spent loads on it already...I've been told there is a an S2 clutch in here, but it was for sale on here couple of years ago with an RS1800 Clutch in, doubt it's the clutch causing problems as it's not heavy but doing my nut in, if it snaps again I'm gonna be pissed haha ever experienced any cable issues? and yeah, if the KA was the pushrod lump like in my other Fiesta, I'm not surprised it leaked, the steel sump on them is made from cheese haha, think the SI one is aluminum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:36 am 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

If it needs replacing, just replace with a new standard clutch, if it's only running around 130 bhp it should be fine... Guessing you've adjusted the clutch cable and losened it off?
In that case it won't be the sump then haha!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:53 pm 
Poster
Poster

bensouthport wrote:
If it needs replacing, just replace with a new standard clutch, if it's only running around 130 bhp it should be fine... Guessing you've adjusted the clutch cable and losened it off?
In that case it won't be the sump then haha!

Yeah, a lot of people of the forums are saying to grease the cables and that both the cables and pedal ratchet were notorious for breaking so it seems I'm not the only one, also managed to find the car on here from when it was up for sale couple of years ago! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25199&p=338391#p338391 here the bloke listed it was an RS1800 Clutch, it's not heavy like a worn plate/uprated clutch and nor does it slip so can't imagine it being the clutch causing the problem. Both cable nipples were stiff to pull out when they'd snapped so coupled with the broken ratchet, car should be okay all being well when it's all back together I hope haha, had to get insured on my other shed for the time being which is hydraulic at least!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:44 am 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

clutch ratchet will be a fun job... Yeah i'd grease everything up, replace what you need to and hope for the best!
Nice looking daily. zs or a rep?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:07 pm 
Poster
Poster

bensouthport wrote:
clutch ratchet will be a fun job... Yeah i'd grease everything up, replace what you need to and hope for the best!
Nice looking daily. zs or a rep?

Yeah all being well, the si was my daily until it packed up again that's why mk5 is back on road. I'm in two minds what to do with mk5, it was my first car and I really fancy sticking a puma lump in it but need to find a unit or somewhere I can keep it or I'll have to sell it but if I kept it, then I coulduse that again as my daily and keep si for the nice weather and yeah, the mk5 is only a rep 1.3, always have to nail it to get it going haha would live to puma it though, just needs a bit of welding though no where near as clean as the si, I need to have a look at getting the si fully under sealed as there's a bit of surface on the front wing underneath but that's about it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:28 pm 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

up to you isnt it mate. Always nice to have two fords. I'd see how you get on with the si and keep the rep as a runner until you sort it and then maybe swap their roles and puma the rep lol ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:46 pm 
Poster
Poster

bensouthport wrote:
up to you isnt it mate. Always nice to have two fords. I'd see how you get on with the si and keep the rep as a runner until you sort it and then maybe swap their roles and puma the rep lol ;)

Yeah would love to puma it haha, got the cable and ratchet sorted now, bite is a little low and the pedal creaks....but lubed everything up on the box and cable so hopefully it should last longer than 5 weeks this time, would be nice to actually put a bit of trust in it and not worry about breaking down haha because I have many plans, first being RS2000 alloys and then bodyshop to remove all the trolley dings once I've got a couple of other little bits sorted!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:51 am 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

good man. yeah fingers crossed.
Yeah i have a set of rs2000's for mine. all powder coated in anthracite. Look the tits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:04 am 
Poster
Poster

bensouthport wrote:
good man. yeah fingers crossed.
Yeah i have a set of rs2000's for mine. all powder coated in anthracite. Look the tits.

Need myself a set haha, wouldn't by any chance know which timing belt to use would you? Not sure if the SI belt is the same as the Mondeo belt, they are both more or less the same lump as far as I'm aware, Si belt is has 131 teeth that sound about right and some Mondeo belts are either 129 or 131, I believe my engine is silvertop as it doesn't have two piece sump or custom mounts any ideas which belt? So confusing this non standard engine business haha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 pm 
The Sherminator!
The Sherminator!

welcome to the forum buddy, clean looking si you have there :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:00 pm 
Poster
Poster

onslack wrote:
welcome to the forum buddy, clean looking si you have there :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, it's getting there slowly!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:47 am 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

i'm not sure Joey. You got the engine code?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:00 pm 
Poster
Poster

bensouthport wrote:
i'm not sure Joey. You got the engine code?

Yeah, I'd imagine that the belt would be the same as the engine is virually the same, I seem to think the later BT zetecs are 129 teeth, any idea where the engine code is on these?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:30 pm 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

where the gearbox joins to it mate facing you with the bonnet open. ill get a picture loaded for you later mate.
I'm selling my rs2000's mate btw so if you're interested ill get some pictures up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:57 pm 
Poster
Poster

bensouthport wrote:
where the gearbox joins to it mate facing you with the bonnet open. ill get a picture loaded for you later mate.
I'm selling my rs2000's mate btw so if you're interested ill get some pictures up.

RS2000 wheels mate? Yeah sure get some pics up pal!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:05 pm 
Poster
Poster

So got some pics the other week, also replaced aux belt and steering wheel for a ZS wheel. Looks a little bit smarter and matches the Si trim inside. Unfortunately the airbag loom from the wheels doesn't quite fit the Si loom so knocked the light on, so removed the light haha. Tried to change the fuel filter and couldn't undo the top clip! Car isn't doing so well at the minute, blue smoke if I let it idle then rev it after a minute but no fouling on the plugs! Both crank seals I think are leaking, cleaned the box side and there's some crispy oil again same on the belt side. Also still a little weep from the rocker cover gasket so I'm suspecting there may be an issue with the PCV system causing too much pressure, blowing oil back through the engine burning it and pushing it out the seals. Possibly, probably not haha, been looking at replacement engines for it. It's going to need a lot of work including all the dent removal, I really want to keep the car but unsure yet!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am 
Out of the closet
Out of the closet

looks spot on mate. unfortunate to hear what's going on. can you not replace the seals?
Are you on facebook?
Ben Ainley, add me and i'll send some pictures over that mate - that's if you still want them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:02 pm 
Southern Events Co-Ordinator
Southern Events Co-Ordinator

Drives: Millennium Puma
he means ben loves it anally :lol:

FACT wrote:
Ford is not a decision you make to like, its a passion you grow up with.

RIP BEN ELVIN (JAM) 6.6.84 - 3.10.12 - Gone but not forgotten - The below sums you up chap
Ben Elvin "Jam" wrote:
Through serious illness you meet some inspiring and determined people. its the best we can do as human beings to inspire and drive the determination of others. Ben.