Index Page Find us on Facebook  Find us on twitter  Follow our RSS Feed
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:13 pm 

Right, I have owned my SI for 3 months now since day one, Here are some questions i need to know to stop me from going crazy :banghead:

1. since i purchase the car the temp gauge has been sitting on the botton white thin line, creeps up to M (fan kicks in) when waitng at lights is this normal engine running?

2. Water header tank (cold start) water level in between markings? End of journey to max line ?

3. What should the temp guage be showing at normal engine mode? i.e gauge pointing too?

Cold start - temp gauge in thick white bottom line / driving creeps up to just below M then settles down to thin white bottom line / creeps up to M then down on normal driving (sad i know whatching the temp gauge)

This is my first ford as i'm use to Rover / MG cars i have owned in the past hence the parronia.

Cheers in advanced

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:27 pm 
David Dickinson's Naughty Bit
David Dickinson's Naughty Bit

Drives: Fiesta ZS
IIRC as long as its in the norm its fine.

Mine used to sit just between the R and the M.

I guess the water level rising is just pressure from driving,

I wouldn't worry about anything unless its in the red! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

Sounds to me like your temperature sender is knackered (the one for the dials that is as there are two of them!) fairly checp part from Ford direct (£15-£20 IIRC).
This should being your need up to more sensible values when driving. Mines sits between the O and R when cruising and goes up to between N and O when in traffic or stationary witht he Fan kicking it in the N.

As said, anything between the red and white mark is good, but that only counts if you're getting a decent reading in the first place.

As said, the water level increasing is due to the increase in temperature in the system and the water expanding. Nothing to worry about as long as between the lines when cold.

Hope that helps stop you going mad ;)

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:36 pm 

Cheers for that, i can now drive home tonight with no fear now :thumbsup: is it the blue connection plug on the side or the brown looking one on the front?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 pm 
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster

If it's the 1.6 zetec then it is one of the two sensors located on the thermostat housing on the right hand side of the engine block. There is on on the top and one underneath. Can't remember which is which though, a quick search will bring it up.
If it's a 1.4 cvh you've got them I'm not sure as never had a cvh I'm afraid :( someone else will know though :thumbsup:

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:33 pm 

cheers, will investigate further. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm 
FSI Supporter
FSI Supporter

Drives: Ford Mustang GT 4.6 V8
elPaulio wrote:
Sounds to me like your temperature sender is knackered (the one for the dials that is as there are two of them!) fairly checp part from Ford direct (£15-£20 IIRC).
This should being your need up to more sensible values when driving. Mines sits between the O and R when cruising and goes up to between N and O when in traffic or stationary witht he Fan kicking it in the N.

As said, anything between the red and white mark is good, but that only counts if you're getting a decent reading in the first place.

As said, the water level increasing is due to the increase in temperature in the system and the water expanding. Nothing to worry about as long as between the lines when cold.

Hope that helps stop you going mad ;)

Paul

this guy is correct :thumbsup:

defo the sender

Rip Ben Elvin (jam)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:48 am 

On the si mate on the thermostat housing thers two sensors the one underneath is the temp sender prone for packingbup