Index Page Find us on Facebook  Find us on twitter  Follow our RSS Feed
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:26 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
Hi there I am having a slight problem in wiring some standard ofab engine loom to the fiesta si interior loom connector, I can get the car to fire but soon as it has used what ever fuel is in the rail after it primes it just cuts out.

Is there anyone who has done the same conversion?

And I know I should use new management but I'm just using this until February when I can get ofam unit from boost monkeys

I think it is possible it could be that I need to remove/change some wires to the si loom connector
Please help :)

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
the person or people to help get the motor running shall be rewarded with a tin of chocolates for christmas haha :D

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:57 pm 
Offline
FSI Supporter
FSI Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 12:40 am
Posts: 7093
Location: Portsmouth
Drives: Fiesta Si 2.0
It might be worth cross checking the interior and engine loom wiring in the haynes manual to make sure all the wires match up and go to the same thing. Might even be wiring to the ECU or fusebox because it sounds like the fuel pump isn't running while the car is.

Can you hear the fuel pump motor going while the car is running for them few seconds?

If not, if it's possible, wire the fuel pump to a live feed (directly to the battery will do) with a switch and fuse in line, you may need to ground the pump too, then crank the car over and turn the fuel pump on manually and see if it the engine then fires up and runs, if it does you know there is a problem with the fuel pump circuit, which then you need to look at the wiring diagrams and figure out what's wrong.

Also, I know it may sound silly but is the fuel filter positioned the right way?

_________________
Image
TTF Si Project thread

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:48 pm 
Offline
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:52 pm
Posts: 431
Location: Plymouth
Drives: Fiesta 1.4 cvh
Sounds like you have a live to the fuel pump when the ignition is on but when the engine starts it cuts the fuel out, I would check that the fuel pump relay is ok the trace back over your wiring, shouldn't be too difficult to find the fault tbh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:45 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
- Danny Boy - wrote:
It might be worth cross checking the interior and engine loom wiring in the haynes manual to make sure all the wires match up and go to the same thing. Might even be wiring to the ECU or fusebox because it sounds like the fuel pump isn't running while the car is.

Can you hear the fuel pump motor going while the car is running for them few seconds?

If not, if it's possible, wire the fuel pump to a live feed (directly to the battery will do) with a switch and fuse in line, you may need to ground the pump too, then crank the car over and turn the fuel pump on manually and see if it the engine then fires up and runs, if it does you know there is a problem with the fuel pump circuit, which then you need to look at the wiring diagrams and figure out what's wrong.

Also, I know it may sound silly but is the fuel filter positioned the right way?


well i thought it could be a wiring fault or something with the relays but i have just taken the 1.4 out and that ran perfect. so hit a bit of a dead end.

but been having a hard time wiring up the rs loom to the si car loom, but after a lot of reading i think it should be right the way i have done it. i could just do with finding someone else who has done it or is in the process

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:47 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
Tonwah wrote:
Sounds like you have a live to the fuel pump when the ignition is on but when the engine starts it cuts the fuel out, I would check that the fuel pump relay is ok the trace back over your wiring, shouldn't be too difficult to find the fault tbh

yea the relay is ok as i had drove it into the garage haha and i have checked that out. so dont know what to do next??

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 am 
Offline
Southern Events Co-Ordinator
Southern Events Co-Ordinator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:54 pm
Posts: 19046
Location: Didcot, Oxfordshire
Drives: Millennium Puma
would the 1.4 pump be manly enough for a zvh turbo?

_________________
Image

FACT wrote:
Ford is not a decision you make to like, its a passion you grow up with.


RIP BEN ELVIN (JAM) 6.6.84 - 3.10.12 - Gone but not forgotten - The below sums you up chap
Ben Elvin "Jam" wrote:
Through serious illness you meet some inspiring and determined people. its the best we can do as human beings to inspire and drive the determination of others. Ben.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 pm 
Offline
FSI Supporter
FSI Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 12:40 am
Posts: 7093
Location: Portsmouth
Drives: Fiesta Si 2.0
^^ Doubt it

_________________
Image
TTF Si Project thread

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
meilack wrote:
would the 1.4 pump be manly enough for a zvh turbo?


i have installed a uprated unit from motorsport development in blackpool :lol:

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 pm 
Offline
Southern Events Co-Ordinator
Southern Events Co-Ordinator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:54 pm
Posts: 19046
Location: Didcot, Oxfordshire
Drives: Millennium Puma
good lad :lol:

_________________
Image

FACT wrote:
Ford is not a decision you make to like, its a passion you grow up with.


RIP BEN ELVIN (JAM) 6.6.84 - 3.10.12 - Gone but not forgotten - The below sums you up chap
Ben Elvin "Jam" wrote:
Through serious illness you meet some inspiring and determined people. its the best we can do as human beings to inspire and drive the determination of others. Ben.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:27 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
update! car is running, but it sporadically cuts the spark and runs rough
i have to keep the revs up to keep the engine going or it will cut out when the spark cuts? is it possible the crank sensor is on its way out? or maybe the ecu?

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline
FSI Supporter
FSI Supporter
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 12:40 am
Posts: 7093
Location: Portsmouth
Drives: Fiesta Si 2.0
Might possible be worth trying a new crank sensor to see if that cures the problem. Might even be the leads, plugs or coil pack too.. But work your way through the list of things that effect the spart until you find out which one it is.. I doubt the ECU would be on the way out, but it is possible.

_________________
Image
TTF Si Project thread

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 pm 
Offline
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:52 pm
Posts: 431
Location: Plymouth
Drives: Fiesta 1.4 cvh
Aren't rs turbo engines ignition systems run by a distributor not a coil pack and crank sensor? If so, check your spark plugs and plug gap and also check the dizzy and rotor arm for wear


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
Tonwah wrote:
Aren't rs turbo engines ignition systems run by a distributor not a coil pack and crank sensor? If so, check your spark plugs and plug gap and also check the dizzy and rotor arm for wear

no thats the escort rs turbo, im running a 1.8 zvh turbo built using a stage 3 fiesta rs turbo head and ofab management

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am 
Offline
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:21 pm
Posts: 1284
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
When I first got my zetec up and running it was running really rough and missing on one cylinder.
Changed spark plugs, leads, coil pack but fault was still there.

Was only cured by un plugging and plugging back in coil pack and leads so make sure everything is clean and properly seated, could be as simple as that!

Paul


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
elPaulio wrote:
When I first got my zetec up and running it was running really rough and missing on one cylinder.
Changed spark plugs, leads, coil pack but fault was still there.

Was only cured by un plugging and plugging back in coil pack and leads so make sure everything is clean and properly seated, could be as simple as that!

Paul


I wish it was I have changed them all changed the loom twice and the ecu twice, it runs rough for a few seconds then cuts out :/

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 am 
Offline
Elite FSI Poster
Elite FSI Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:21 pm
Posts: 1284
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Is your battery fully charged and alternator working ok?

Again, I had an issue where I started the car but the battery was run down a bit and the alternator was goosed so it didnt have enough oomph to run the car properly but had enough to start it.

Worth a quick charge or just start to see if it helps...

Paul


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 18
Location: west yorkshire
Drives: fiesta 94 si 1.8 zvh T
elPaulio wrote:
Is your battery fully charged and alternator working ok?

Again, I had an issue where I started the car but the battery was run down a bit and the alternator was goosed so it didn't have enough oomph to run the car properly but had enough to start it.

Worth a quick charge or just start to see if it helps...

Paul


i have put a new battery on and the alternator charges,

i think it maybe the fact that iam trying to use a rs turbo loom in a newer si as there is a difference in the car loom connector ( si is a 12 pin and the rs is a 8 pin? )

so on that note has anybody got info on what wires do what on the car loom connector on the 1.4 fiesta si 94

_________________
Understeer - you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer - you hit the wall with the back of the car
BHP - how fast you hit the wall
Torque - how much of the wall you take with you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron