Index Page Find us on Facebook  Find us on twitter  Follow our RSS Feed
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:46 pm 
FSi Donator
FSi Donator

Drives: XR2i 2.3 Turbo
Fitted my gauges today so heres a little guide on how.

For those interested, i got my holder from http://www.carbontecshop.com/Fiesta_RS_XR2i.html

You will need:
- Gauges
- Holder of some sort
- Various bits of wire etc
- electrical crimps/butt connectors etc
- Sockets, spanners etc

If youve not done any wiring before, have a quick read here
http://www.moparfins.com/Repairs/Electrical/Auto_basic_wiring_tips.htm

Illumination for gauges:
Depending on where you have the gauges will depend on what you tap into for power. As mine are just above my heater controls, i tapped into the power feed for the light.
Most people have them on the a pillar, so if you mounted your gauges there you will need to find something suitable to get power from.

Water temp sender:
You could get a t-piece and attach the gauge sender via that in the top hose, or just replace the original sender which is on the bottom of the thermostat housing. (This way you will loose your temp gauge on main dials) Easiest way to get to it is to remove the air intake pipe as it gets in the way, unscrew it, and replace with new sender.
Some sensors will need an adapter as the threads are different, my TIM gauge came with a few but didnt need them and just went straight in.

Oil Pressure sender
This ones a bit of a pain as its harder to get to, on the back of the block. I tried to do it from underneath but it was easier to take off the inlet manifold. To remove all that you need to do is unclip all the wiring (injectors, water temp on top of thermostat, idle valve, tps, and cam phase sensor) them undo the 9 bolts holding it in. Once youve got this off its just a case of unscrewing the old one a popping the new one in using an appropriate adapter, I needed one this time. To retain the original light on the dash you will need a t-piece to use both sensors.

Wiring for gauges
With any luck you will be left with three wires, an earth, power, and the wire that goes to the sender. I run the earths to the earthing point under the plastic bit next to the thedoor rubber. (Not to sure what its called it get a pic!)
Now you need to run the power cable to an ignition live, Easiest place would be the power for your stereo. How ever ive got a little screen in my centre consol allreadt wired into this and dont want to blow the fuse so found a point in the fuse box to tap into. (Info - ciggi lighter is on same fuse so dont try to be cheeky and get power from there)
Now you just need to run the sender wires. Make sure you crimp a ring terminal onto one end, and attach it to the sender, with a the little nut and washer supplyed. Now run the wire to your gauges and connect it to appropriate gauge.

Pop the gauges in, turn your engine on and if all is well the gauges will work.

Please bear in mind that if certain brands are going to be slightly different in the wiring so this guide might not suit all. Just refer to the instructions that come with it.

Hope this is of help to someone.

I like boost! Formerly cookie456_the2nd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:50 pm 
The Sherminator!
The Sherminator!

good guide 8-)

i like the carbon ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:29 am 
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Drives: Nissan Pulsar GTi-R
Great guide :)

Well done :D

However, you've got them dials and a nice looking screen in there, so CLEAN THE INSIDE!!! :lol:

Quote Ry, Mallory Park, 3rd Dec: "Ahhhh crap... Just a bit too over eager really!"
"I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee"